Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Dear First Year Teacher...

Dear First Year Teacher,

   I have some advice, and you can take it or leave it, but it's a few tricks I've learned along the way. Tricks I wish I'd known sooner, or wish someone would have just told me instead of watching me struggle and figure it out the hard way. Although, that's what takes you from being a good teacher to becoming a great teacher, learning the hard way. I like to reference the cliche, "Getting thrown into the fire," that's the best way to learn to be an educator and that's also what makes it so hard.

#1. This was advice I got from a professor at college, and it was some of the best advice ever received, eat lunch with your co-workers in the faculty room. Get to know the people you work with, from DAY 1. No matter how busy you are take this break and opportunity. This may sound like funny advice, especially for number one, but I promise, it's important. It's important because you need a break, you need conversation to validate your feelings about your class and it's ups and downs. You need friends in the workplace. While I'm not working, I plan on attending lunch at my previous school occasionally, just because I'll miss that time.

#2. No matter how long you stay after that bell rings ( and believe me, your first year you will feel you never leave), you will never be caught up. It's just that simple. It is what it is. Be planned and prepared for each day, but be flexible because chances are, plans will change.

#3. Smile on day 1. Smile on day 2. Smile on day 98 ( which may be harder than day 1). If you expect your kids to come to school happy, you better come happy too (or at least look like it).

#4. Read The First Days of School by Harry K. Wong. Just do everything the book says. It changed my life...teaching life that is.

#5. Love what you do and your students will love coming to school. Good luck and have fun!

Finally, First Year Teacher, I envy you. I envy your spunk. I envy your continual optimism that being an educator is the best profession in the world. I envy your desire to continue to persist, even among numerous failures. I envy your hard-work. While I still believe all of those things after five years, sometimes the energy and enthusiasm dwindles, just a little, as reality sets in. Ignorance is bliss.

Teaching is hard, but it's worth it. Enjoy and have the best year ever!


Teresa Kwant


No comments:

Post a Comment