Tuesday, July 29, 2014

What I Wish I'd Known Sooner: Lapbooks

This is a new teacher note series I am starting called "What I Wish I'd Known Sooner". Posts beginning with this title will be a cool teaching idea that I didn't get much time to use in my classroom because either A) I found out about it right as I was taking my hiatus, or B) I found out about it after becoming a SAHM. Aren't there things you wish you had known sooner? Things to make teaching easier?


This first post is about lapbooks. I didn't realize what gems these were until about 3 months before I stopped teaching. I came across a {tutorial} on youtube around March of 2014. I then made a country report lapbook for my class. It was a hit! The students loved putting it together and it was a cheap and easy way to make their presentations look FAB.U.LOUS. I fell in love with lapbooks shortly after. The sad part? I only had a few months left of teaching so I didn't do anymore with my students.


 apbwg


I did get a little obsessed with lapbooks this summer and have created Back to School lapbooks and Ancient Greece and Mythology Lapbooks. I plan on making a whole series.


To make lapbooks all you need is a file folder, any color will do, paper, foldables, and colored pencils. Start by folding the two edges of the lapbook together, into the center. I like to create  a fun cover to go with the theme of the lapbook report.


photo 1 (30)





Add any foldables to the lapbook.


ancient greece lapbook photo 4 (22)




I like to make lapbooks that are a culminating project to writing an essay or story. I put foldables under the essay and on both sides of the folder. That way, the essay or story can lay nicely in the center as part of the presentation. Someone needs to let me volunteer to teach in their classroom so I can make a lapbook with their class! I had fun making one on my own, but I want to do it with some students. #teachingwithdrawls I don't think it'll go away any time soon.


What are some things you have learned that you wish you knew sooner in teaching?


20140724-224435-81875871.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment