Saturday, July 12, 2014

10 Things I Learned From the TPT Conference

MY first "teacher note" on Mom Quotes and Teacher Notes is here, and I am thrilled it's a compilation of tips I learned at the first ever TPT conference. I'll just jump right in with the goods.

photo 4 (16)

1. No matter who you are or where you are as a seller, Paul respects you. I was honestly touched by how much Paul cares about TPT sellers. His story of creating the site, up til now, is incredible. He knew many sellers individually and he wanted to get to know all of us there. He said he brought a hug for each of us. I went and got mine, as well as a picture!

photo (30)

2. Collaborating with other TPT sellers is key. While you may own your own store, you really can't be in this business alone. I have gained invaluable information and ideas from other sellers I collaborate with on Facebook and the TPT forum. We help edit each other's products, give suggestions on items we are working on, answer TPT (and sometimes un-related TPT) questions, we make friends, we help each other marketing wise, and we go through this journey together. Collaboration is a vital part of this community. While at the conference I got to meet up with several TPT seller friends I have made online.

photo 1 (19) photo 2 (16)

3. I'm a little behind, but I am just starting to figure out this whole Pinterest craze. Sure I liked to pin recipes, clothes, and makeup, but I could never figure out how to edge my way into the education world of Pinterest. First, if you are a TPT seller, make your Pinterest account a business account. Next, remember that business is business and personal is personal. If you want TPT Pinterest followers, stick to your educational pins. Educators will follow you because they want educational pins, not  because they want to know what you are making for dinner :).

4. A common theme I kept hearing throughout the social media discussions was the 80/20 rule. Your posts, pins, updates, and pictures should be 80% value and only 20% marketing and promoting of products. Your followers need to trust you. They don't want to be bombarded with "commercials" and paid products. Freebies do not count as a "valued" post; those would still be promotional because it is advertising your products.

5. When you make a pin (yes make your pins, don't just pin product covers), include a $ in the description for paid products. This is a courtesy to pinners and buyers.

6. Your Facebook posts should be a variety of links to blog posts, engagement questions, photos, quotes, questions answered from your fans, freebies from your TPT store and other stores, contests, links to websites, pins, and videos. Post 1-2 times a day when beginning a Facebook page. You can schedule Facebook posts (I loved this, I didn't know this was possible. It will change how I use Facebook, and not make it seem so daunting!).

7. Rachel Lynette shared a great quote, "Comparison is the thief of joy."-Theodore Roosevelt. Sometimes I get stuck comparing myself to other TPT stores. If I were to have quit because I got discouraged by looking at someone else's store early on, I wouldn't be able to to see the success I have been able to have now.

8. When referring to Pinterest (but I think this goes with most social media sites) it was mentioned in Rachel Lynette's class that, "Content is King and images are Queen."

9. Be Kind, be real, be honest.

10. We are all in this together! TPT is here to help teachers be successful. It's here to give us the opportunity to share our creative ideas and classroom strategies. It is only going up from here!

I am so glad I was able to go to the conference. I am already planning for next year. Did I mention that Deanna Jump, TPT's top seller, is amazing? I was honored to meet her.

photo 1 (23)

Did you attend the TPT conference? What were some tips you learned? comment below.


So long for now,

logo

6 comments:

  1. Hi! I just found you through the forums. I am also a teacher turned SAHM! I loved the conference and enjoyed meeting other sellers. I wish that I had made plans to meet up with other teacher authors before the conference because I had a hard time finding people I knew when there. I really enjoyed the sessions by Nikki from Melonheadz and Mel D.- Seusstastic. I also brought my daughter (1.5yrs) to Vegas and was so excited to find Carlo's Bakery. Sadly they were out of cannolis when I was there, but the eclairs were fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura,
    Start planning now for next year! We can meet up then:) I live melonheadz clipart. I wish I could have met her. Next year let's leave the kids behind, grab a cannoli, and head to Vegas together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't make it so thank you for sharing your experience. Did they announce where next year's would be?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rebecca,
    They did not announce where it would be but the general feeling was that there would be another one next year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rebecca!
    Thank you so much for this post! I am so jealous that I wasn't there so I really appreciate you sharing what you learned. :-)
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Diana,
    The good news is you should probably expect a conference next year. Start saving now, I HIGHLY recommend going!
    Teresa Kwant

    ReplyDelete